Position: Executive Director, Young Democrats of Florida
The Young Democrats of America (YDA) is the nation’s largest youth-led, partisan political organization. As the official youth arm of the Democratic Party since 1932, YDA now operates as an independent 527 organizations. Our membership includes middle school, high school and college students as well as young workers, young professionals and young families, with over 1,500 local chapters in all 50 states. YDA’s national and state staff work with national, state, and local leaders across the country on peer-to-peer young voter mobilization campaigns, issue advocacy, leadership and skills trainings, and other activities to grow sustainable chapters and build the national infrastructure of YDA.
Job Description: The Young Democrats of America is continuing to expand state-based staff as part of our State Partnership Programs. State Executive Directors work to build long-term infrastructure for the youth movement. The Florida Young Democrats (FYD) Executive Director reports directly to the President of the Florida Young Democrats and the Executive Director of the Young Democrats of America. The position will be based in central Florida either in Orlando or Tampa.
The FYD Executive Director is responsible for the overall implementation of programs on behalf of the Florida Young Democrats and the Young Democrats of America. This includes, but is not limited to:
· Manage the daily operations of the Florida Young Democrats.
· Organize Young Democrats chapters in communities across the state and work to strengthen existing chapters.
· Work with the FYD Executive Board to develop and Implement the Florida Young Democrats Strategic Plan, specifically planning peer-to-peer campaign activities, chapter building activities, lobbying efforts and coordinating with other progressive grassroots organizations.
· Create annual finance plan and budget and engage donors through ongoing fundraising activities. Work with the FYD Treasurer and FYD to ensure that the budget is met through effective donor solicitation and marketing efforts.
· Plan and coordinate events such as Executive Board and Committee meetings, convention activities, regular conferences, and trainings.
· Work with the FYD Executive Board to help Young Democrats become more involved in the political process, including but not limited to helping young democrats to find jobs and internships on campaigns and to help young democrats run and get elected to office.
· Handle all scheduling, communications, and appearance requests for FYD and the FYD President.
· Continue collaborative and cooperative relationships with the Florida Democratic Party, Young Democrats of America, and other progressive groups to ensure high visibility and effective activism.
· Recruit and manage FYD interns.
Salary and Benefits: $35,000 to $40,000 annually, health insurance, and reimbursement for cell phone.
To Apply: Applicants should have at least two years experience with campaigns or politically- focused non-profit organizations. Management experience and knowledge of fundraising and the budget process is preferred. The position requires regular in-state and national travel and access to a car.
Applicants should send resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on Monday, October 1, 2007. The Young Democrats of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. YDA does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender identification, sexual orientation, disability, marital status or any other protected status covered by federal, state or local law.