YDA Hiring Utah Executive Director
Posted by Kevin Bondelli on March 7, 2008
The Young Democrats of America (YDA) is the nation’s largest youth-led, partisan political organization. As the official youth arm of the Democratic Party since 1932, YDA now operates as an independent 527 organizations. Our membership includes middle school, high school and college students as well as young workers, young professionals and young families, with over 1,500 local chapters in all 50 states. YDA’s national and state staff work with national, state, and local leaders across the country on peer-to-peer young voter mobilization campaigns, issue advocacy, leadership and skills trainings, and other activities to grow sustainable chapters and build the national infrastructure of YDA.
The Young Democrats of Utah (YDU) is the official youth arm of the Utah State Democratic Party and has members between the ages of 14 and 36. YDU works to create programs and events that excite young people about the political process. Through social events, volunteer activities, lobbying, and specialized young voter campaigns, the Young Democrats of Utah are playing an integral role in bluing a red state.
Job Description: The Young Democrats of America is continuing to expand state-based staff as part of our State Partnership Programs. State Executive Directors work to build long-term infrastructure for the youth movement. The Young Democrats of Utah Executive Director reports directly to the President of the Young Democrats of Utah and the Executive Director of the Young Democrats of America. The position is based in Salt Lake City.
The YDU Executive Director is responsible for the overall implementation of programs on behalf of the YDU and the Young Democrats of America. This includes, but is not limited to:
* Manage the daily operations of the Young Democrats of Utah.
* Work with Caucus leaders to organize Young Democrats chapters in communities across the state and work to strengthen existing chapters.
* Work with the YDU Executive Board to develop and implement the YDU Strategic Plan, specifically planning peer-to-peer campaign activities, chapter building activities, lobbying efforts and coordinating with other progressive grassroots organizations.
* Create and fund yearly budget, ensuring that the budget is met through effective donor solicitation and marketing efforts. Work with YDU Treasurer to meet financial reporting requirements.
* Plan and coordinate events such as Executive Board and Committee meetings, convention activities, regular conferences, and trainings.
* Handle all scheduling, communication and appearance requests for the Young Democrats of Utah and the YDU President.
* Continue collaborative and cooperative relationships with the Utah State Democratic Party, Young Democrats of America and other progressive groups to ensure high visibility and effective activism.
* Recruit and manage YDU interns.
* Work with YDU President to manage Executive Board members and assist Board members in completing their tasks.
* Assist in management of Demopolis database.
* Other duties as assigned.
Salary and Benefits: $27,000 to $32,000 annually, health insurance, and reimbursement for cell phone.
To Apply: This position prefers applicants have at least two years experience with campaigns or politically-focused non-profit organizations. Management experience and knowledge of fundraising and the budget process is a plus. The position requires regular in-state and national travel and access to a car. Applicants should send resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 21, 2008.